1.25.2011

Jordan's Hobby

Bushcraft: a long-term extension of survival skills. Bushcraft is about surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of ancient skills and knowledge to do so. Bushcraft skills include; firecraft, tracking, hunting, shelter building, the use of tools such as knives and axes, foraging, hand-carving wood, container construction from natural materials, rope and twine-making, and many others. (Wikipedia)

This has been Jordan's obsession for the past couple of months. If he can find any free time between law school and hanging out with us he is usually doing this stuff:
Learning new knots
Lighting things on fire.
This was actually a test of his to see which types of man made objects would hold a flame the longest.
Carving, using his knife n' such.

Currently he is learning how to make an stove out of some pop cans.

While I do get upset sometimes with this obsession, I can't get too mad. I feel pretty darn safe if we ever have to live off the land. And its actually pretty neat - I tried my hand a couple times with making fire with just a knife and ferro rod. It was fun.

{Other bushcraft adventures jordan has done or learned how to do}
build a fire in the rain, how to weave, how to make arrowheads, how to build his own forge, how to use that forge to make my own knives, how to make his own jerky
-and this was all during Christmas break....

2 comments:

janece said...

Seriously, I think there was a serious recessive gene that came through when that child was born that dated back to the pioneers!!!

mylyn wood said...

This is Tim's dream! To live off the land haha He and Jordan should on a man camp together haha